|Monitor your garage door with an Android app|
- Using a Netduino board (or an Arduino board with an Ethernet shield) build a sensor to detect if the garage door is open or closed. I chose an infrared phototransistor so I would not have to make physical contact with the door and because it's cheap! Like $1.13 cheap!
Build and program a garage door sensor
- To open or close the garage door I wired an Optoisolator to a spare garage door opener.
Build and program a garage door opener
Open and close garage door with your Netduino
- Write a program (or you might hear it referred to as a sketch) to check the sensor and determine if the door is open or close and report it back over HTTP
- Even though it's not required, I wrote a second RESTful webservice to talk to the Netduino web server (see diagram). That way the Netduino webserver is never exposed outside my private network. I have another computer with the RESTful webservice that has a layer of authentication that is exposed to the internet.
- And finally an Android app that will display if the garage door is open or closed as well as open or close it. Here are step by step instructions (with complete source code) for writing the Android App.